*NEW* Graduate opportunity at Appleyard Lees 2013
We have an opportunity for a new trainee patent attorney in our Electronics and Software team based at our Leeds office. The role will entail training under qualified European Patent Attorneys and represents a rare opportunity to access a niche but lucrative profession. For more information and details on how to apply, click here.
We are always interested to hear from people who are looking to become an attorney or who are fully qualified and are looking for a new challenge.
In return, we offer competitive salaries, excellent training and support with immediate involvement in business development.
We work for companies from a wide range of industries including chemistry, life sciences, electronics, software and engineering all over the UK and overseas which means that some foreign travel will be required.
If you enjoy a challenge and are looking to use your technical abilities every day, then call us on 01422 330110 or
In order to train as a Chartered Patent Attorney or European Patent Attorney you would need to have:
- A strong background in science or engineering at least to degree level
- Be a good communicator
- Able to explain complex ideas clearly and methodically
- Be able to meet the nationality requirements for qualification as a European Patent Attorney given here
In order to train as a Trade Mark Attorney you would need to have:
- A good standard of education - usually to degree level
- Be a good communicator
- Able to explain ideas clearly and methodically
What we are looking for in a CV:
- Show your skills with accuracy and clarity
- Grammatically correct – no spelling mistakes
- Your personal story and why you are interested in this career
- Be brief - luckily we get 3 or 4 CVs each week
- From time to time we do offer short periods of unpaid work experience, because we do like to see who is out there and give you a chance to see our work for real but with no strings either way
- We try to acknowledge all CVs within a couple of days, so please follow up if you have not heard from us in a week or so.
- We recruit at most one or two new trainees each year, but the timing varies a lot depending on our workload and future planning. Sadly that means that most of the time we are not actively recruiting and you’ll need to show an extra spark in order to attract our attention. If a vacancy arises we then contact the most recent applicants to see if they are still interested in applying.
- It is not necessary to attach photographs or give your age, etc., because personal information will be removed before we consider your CV.
In addition to taking on new trainees we are always interested in hearing from qualified or part qualified patent or trade mark attorneys who might be looking for a move up the tree.
If you are interested in applying, please send your CV and a short covering letter to Yvonne Sanderson, HR Manager at